The Companionway

Although the campanionway may look real pretty, it has some problems. Hunter took some shortcuts making it. 

This is the way it is constructed. The outer deck and the inner liner come to the edge of the opening. There is nothing in between. They stick the wood on the outside, then run a few screws through the wood from each side and into the fiberglass. This leaves a very poor seal, and one that will let loose even if it was originally sealed.  

It may seem trivial on the surface, but any water that leaks through here will go on down and ruin the light inside below the companionway. Besides that, it will drip on the motor, making it a big hunk of rust. It will also cause the wall between the motor and quarterberth to rot out.

There are probably many ways to deal with this, as long as you create a good seal in the process. Here is what I did.

I took all the companionway wood off. I made some strips of teak that fit between the inner and outer skin. This needs to give the correct thickness of the assembly when they are all screwed together so that when the companionway wood is re-installed, it will not be too thin and have voids, or too thick and the wood won't cover it all.

I used silicon to seal it because I had a lot I needed to use up, but anything to seal it could be used, including resin, 5200, or other compounds. I gooped them up real well, then installed a few coutersunk screws on both sides to suck it all together. (The counter sunk screws are needed so that the companionway wood will fit flush on the fiberglass.) Once this is done, just re-install the teak trim, and you're set.

This is such an easy fix, and is so obvious that it will be a problem the way it was built, it's amazing to me that Hunter did not do it right in the first place.

Upgrade and Fix-it Page - Rainbow Chaser Home page